l'Aventure Chaotique des fusées Europa de 1962 à 1973

l'Aventure Chaotique des fusées Europa de 1962 à 1973

histoire de Woomera et woomera Rocket park


The Woomera rocket park

 

OBELISK

 

IMG_4240 bis.jpg

The Obelisk, located right in the very centre of Woomera commemorates its founding in 1947 and is adjacent to the location of Len Beadell's original survey market It depicts a stylised rocket, satellite, woomera (spear launcher) and a tracking dish.

 

 

Black Arrow 

IMG_2567 99.jpg


A three stage British rocket designed to carry a satellite into orbit. When fully loaded the Black Arrow stood 13m tall and weighed (at take-off) about 18 tonnes. Black Arrow used the proven technology and engineering of its predecessor Black Knight, but it needed to be a larger more powerful rocket. The 1st and 2nd stages were basically enlarged versions of the Black Knight. with more powerful engines burning the proven HTP (Hydrogen Test Peroxide) and kerosene mix. The third stage had a specially designed slow-burning and lightweight waxwing solid propellant motor. The satellite sat above the stage under a protective nose cone. Black Arrow had to carry the satellite up and away on a gradually curving ascent until, almost 10 minutes after lift-off and at 1.700km from Woomera; the upper stage would be flying parallel to-the Earth's surface at a height of 560km. At this point, with its speed approaching 8km per second, the nose cone halves would separate and the satellite would be released into permanent orbit. In 1969 and 1970 four BlackArrows were launched with varying Success to prove the system performance. October 1971 saw the fourth Black Arrow lift-off from Launch Area 5, taking the operational satellite Prospero into a perfect orbit. It was at this stage that the project was suddenly cancelled. Only Prospero, named after the magician from Shakespeare's The Tempest, remains in space as a tribute to the project. It circles the Earth every hundred minutes and unless tampered with, will continue to do so for a century to come.

 

Skylark

IMG_2569 99.jpg

 

A British designed high altitude rocket first flown in 1957. Between 1957 and 1979 a total of 266 Skylarks were launched from tho Woomera range, employed as both high altitude sounding rockets and platforms to observe extra-terrestrial phenomena. Skylarks used one or two solid propellant stages to reach altitudes of 265km, with a payload of 300kgs. The payloads have included scientific equipment to study upper atmosphere conditions such as temperature, pressure in the ionosphere. radiation, micrometeorites, and distribution of ultraviolet radiation In 1987. a Skylark was launched to gather data from a supernova. marking the first flight in over nine years.

 

Meteor MK7

IMG_41942.jpg

 

The Meteor entered service with the Royal Air Force in 1944 and was used against German V-1 rockets. This trainer Aircraft  joined the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) in 1951 and saw service with 77 Sqn in Japan and the 78th Wing in Malta. Of the six MK7 trainers that were with the RAAF,  the one on display here is believed to be the lost one remaining. The aircraft was powered by two Rolls Royce engines and flew at speeds of around 800km per hour. During the Jindivik trials, the now obsolete Meteor aircraft were converted into pilotless drones to present a larger target as required. The first unmanned Meteor flew al Evetts  Field on 7th May 1957. During 477 sorties. which lasted until June 1974, 59 Meteors  were destroyed in flight while a further 20  crashed through malfunctions. 

 

Canberra Bomber

IMG_4195.JPG

 

An English aircraft built by English Electric. It was commissioned in 1954 and contracted under licence to be built in America and Australia. The Canberra Bomber has two Rolls Royce Avon 101 jet engines with a maximum speed of 917km per hour. the coiling height was 14.5km and it had a range of .8km. The aircraft carried a crew of two and armament of six 1,000lb (approximately 453.5km each) bombs. In 1952 the first Canberra joined the eight Lincoln Bombers of the experimental flight at Woomera. Although acquired for the Blue Boar tests, the Canberra was in great demand for various services. In 1955 a second Canberra and a Vickers Valiant were added and slowly they replaced the Lincoln, as the Canberra had greater height and speed advantage. During research and development trials for the Blue Jay (1955 —1958), the missiles were fired from specially fitted RAAF Sabre and Canberra aircraft. The Canberra was also used in 1967 during the Ikara trials program for testing of payload development and missile guidance and tracking. Seventeen Canberra Bombers were converted to remote control by Short Brothers and Harland in Northam Ireland and flown to Australia. The Canberras were used as targets for ground to air missiles like Bloodhound. Thunderbird, and Seaslug. Even though they cost three times as much as a Jindivik when destroyed, It produced a radar image ten times as large and was closer in size and speed to an enemy bomber. The first target flight was flown in 1959 and the bomber was destroyed from the ground while at 50,000 feet. A further eleven were shot down before the service ended in 1965, while five more malfunctioned and crashed. The Canberra Bomber on display was rebuilt after being retired from use as a target aircraft.

 

 

JINDIVIK

IMG_2638.JPG

 

This is an Australian designed and built pilotless target aircraft. Its name means the hunted one in the Aboriginal language. It was first manufactured in 1952 and the first successful flight was carried out at Woomera on 28th August that year at Evetts Field. Many Jindiviks completed over 100 flights. FtAAF pilot Sqn Ldr H.V. Sheam of ARDU shot down the first Jindivik destroyed over Range E. They were built to fly between 50.000 and 60.000 feet with 90 gallons of fuel. It has been through three model changes since the first prototype. The model on display is one of the later types, showing the wing extensions that gave the Jindivik extra lift and range.

 

 

THUNDERBIRD

IMG_2595 bis.JPG

 

The Thunderbird is a large ground to air anti-aircraft missile developed by English Electric of Luton, England. The missile went through many name changes during its development and testing. Depending on the version of modification being tested, it could have boon called Red Shoes, Thunderbird. Green Flax. Yellow Temple, Bloodhound or VR725. The missile's boost power was supplied by four solid fuel motors fitted around the body, while the actual rocket motor started with a liquid fuel but eventually went to a solid fuel too. The missile development and acceptance trials under the Red Shoe name started at Woomera In 1954, and the program was completed after many failures and mishaps in 1960, when the Thunderbird MK1 went into service with the British Army. The version used by the Royal Air Force (RAF) was called Bloodhound. From 1960 to 1965 further evaluation trials were run and the final version of the Bloodhound remained in service until the 1990s. The Thunderbird is on display outside the Woomera Heritage and Information Centre on Dewrang Avenue.

 

Black Knight

IMG_2582 ter.jpg

 

Designed in 1955 by the Royal Aircraft Establishment (ME) and Saunders-Roe. the Black Knight took four years to design and a team of 260 on two continents. The Black Knights were built on the Isle of Wight, and launches at Woomera wore carried oul between 1958 and 1965. Standing 10m tall, It was liquid fuelled and equipped with an elaborate guidance system. Black Knightwas originally designed as a cheap test vehicle to collect data on re-entry prior to work commencing on Blue Streak (a planned ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead). While the early launches answered many questions raised It was initially felt that collecting data on the physics of high altitude were of secondary importance. When the Blue Streak program was abandoned, the Black Knight continued to be used for gathering data. often carrying experimental payloads. Many of the systems and parts were eventually used in the Black Arrow project. This is one of three remaining Black Knights in existence (the other two are on display in British muséums).

 

 

High Altitude Density

 

 IMG_2588 HAD 2.jpg

The High Altitude Density (HAD) is an Australian developed high altitude sounding rocket first launched in 1961. HAD was a two stage rocket that achieved an altitude of 120km. As the names suggests, the HAD was used to study air density, temperature. and wind most noticeably through a series of 'falling sphere' experiments. The sphere was a balloon made of aluminised polyester film that would Inflate on release and then slowly descend the atmosphere while being continuously monitored by ground radar. The first successful sphere was launched in March 1962 and eventually HADs were launched from Carnarvon. Western Australia. and Woomera simultaneously to measure the variations in the atmosphere over different parts of Australia. From 1962 HADs were also used by the University of Adelaide to launch payloads designed to study the chemical composition of the upper atmosphere in the southern hemisphere. By the late 1960s the HAD was replaced by the Cockatoo, which made its debut in 1970.

 

PETREL SUPERSONIC TARJET

 

IMG_2606 petrel2.jpg

 

A small rocket built by Bristol Aerojet In use around the world from 1967 to 1982. Modified Petrels were used as supersonic targets from 1973 to 1975. The Petrels were an unguided projectile and had to be aimed like a gun. They were fired from a 10m tube capable of reaching heights of 1.7km at Mach 2.3. Their range (once fired) was approximately 25km from the launch area.

 

LONG TOM

 

IMG_2564b.jpg

 

Long Tom was the first Australian sounding rocket developed In the late 1950s by the Weapons Research Establishment (WRE) As Britain worked on the Black Knight project, WRE produced the Long Tom as a cheap test vehicle to record trajectories and rocket behaviour al high altitudes. Long Tom stood 8.2m and consisted of two stages. Assembled at first using surplus British engines in a duster of three for the first stage, eventually at least 10 different variants were produced many using technology developed at WRE. The first launch was in October 1957 and gradually the reliability and performance improved. In 1959 the Long Tom carried a micrometeorite detector as one of the experiments conducted for the International Geophysical Year. By 1960 Long Tom was mothballed in favour of two new sounding rockets that had been developed- the High Altitude Density (HAD) and the High Altitude Temperature (HAT). The replica Long Tom can be found at the entrance to town.

 

No.3 Mk 7 Telemetry unit

 

IMG_2633b.jpg

 

 

 

"George" is a British AA No. 3 Mk 7 mobile radar unit used during trials on the Range in the early 1950s. It was designed during World War II for controlling anti-aircraft guns. Enemy aircraft were tracked by a narrow beam aerial insider the reflector dish, once locked onto a target the radar fed continuous data to the guns to pinpoint the target. On the Range it was used for tracking aircraft navigation. The data output was fed through to enable the aircraft's position to be plotted on a map of the Range. No. 3 Mk 7 were used from the very earliest trials on the Range in 1949 through until 1966 when it eventually gave way to newer technology

 

Rolls Royce RZ-2 Engine

 

IMG_4246b.jpg

 

This Rolls Royce RZ-2 engine was used in the first stage of the Europa F5 launched in 1966. The debris lay in the Simpson Desert undisturbed until first being discovered by C. Warren Bonython and Charles McCubbin 1973 as they walked across the desert. It wasn't until 1999 that the engine was recovered from the desert and returned to Woomera. where it remains on display.

 

Relics ELDO Europa Blue Streak

 

IMG_4248.JPG

 

Britain's Blue Streak program to create an intercontinental ballistic missile, capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, was to have been the largest project tackled in Woomera in its era. A new launch site was developed on the edge of Lake Hart and the town of Talgarno sprang up in Western Australia at the very end of the projected Impact zone. In February 1960, the British Parliament announced the cancelling of the project, with American and Russian technology advancing at a faster pace to develop.nuclear deterrent technology. In 1961 it was announced that Britain and France would collaborate on creating a European satellite launcher creation of the European Launcher development Organisation (ELDO) with the addition of Italy, Belgium, West Germany, Netherlands and Australia. The existing Blue Streak rockets became the first stage of this exciting new program. The Europa consisted of three liquid fuelled stages. The Blue Streak, powered by two Rolls-Royce RZ-2 engines, was the first stage. The French designed Coralie, powered by four rocket engines. was the second stage and a German built ASTRIS third stage carried an italian build est satellite A total of 10 rockets were launched, 7 under the ELDO banner, with the earlier flights consisting of just a Blue Streak. Two were fired carrying a dummy second and third stage. The first of these was F4 which launched in May 1966. The flight was terminated 135 seconds after a malfunction was reported bringing the debris down in the Simpson Desert. It remained undisturbed until in 1993, a volunteer reconnaissance party located the site. A further land search was conducted in 1994 with one of the Rolls Royce RZ-2 engines being located the dummy satellite wich contained various electronics tracking transmetters and the flight recorders was dicovered buried under 1,2 m of sand . In 1997,after much planning, the rocket components were returned to Woomera with some additional help from the army  LH (SAMR) APC Unit. The RZ-2 engine can be seen on display in the Woomera Heritage centre.The Europa rockets remain the largest rockets ever fired in Australia.

 

relics of the rocket Redstone

 

IMG_2590.JPG

 

Woomera was the launch site of Australia's first satellite, WRESAT, on 29 November 1967. The satellite was Australian designed and weighed 45kg. It was launched using a Redstone rocket left over from a joint US/ UK trial and donated for the launch by the United States. During 1967 the Americans were using a series of three stage Redstone rockets for the Sparta project to investigate the phenomena produced when objects re-entered the atmosphere. The Redstono was a reliable rocket developed from the German V-2 rocket, and the satellite was built into the nosecone. The Redstone stood 28.1m tall and the first stage contained a single A-7 engine. The second stage was an Antares-2 and the third a BE-3. In 1990 a team of volunteers recovered the first stage of the Redstone in the Simpson Desert. Using coordinates provided by Dick Smith, the team travelled over 1.000km by track to find the debris. A plaque was erected at the site prior to their return journey. The display gives an indication of how the pieces were found in the desert.

 

 


29/11/2017
0 Poster un commentaire

Histoire de Woomera

 

 

 

 

Histoire de Woomera

(Woomera Heritage centre)

history of woomera-1.jpg

1945

Après la seconde guerre mondiale, il devenait évident qu’une zone d’essai de fusées serait nécessaire et donc une recherche de cette zone commença. Les choix comportaient : l’Angleterre, mais c’était trop petit et surpeuplé ;  le Canada, dont le territoire était assez grand mais était souvent sous la neige et était trop froid et humide pour la récupération sur  la terre ferme ; et l’Australie, qui était parfaite, car la majorité de la population se trouvait près de la côte. Le centre avait une population faible, ce qui la rendait idéale pour des raisons de sécurité.

 1946

Le Long Range Weapons Establishment a commencé ses opérations à Salisbury (SA), dans le but de créer un centre de lancement à Woomera, à environ 5oo km au nord-ouest d’Adélaïde en Australie-Méridionale. Le feu vert pour Woomera était parti et la voie de garage ferroviaire à Pimba était opérationnelle avec des hommes, des tentes, des bâtiments de fortune et la volonté d’aller de l’avant pour travailler et mettre Woomera sur la carte. Le lieutenant général  JF Evetts décida de l’endroit où Woomera est aujourd'hui fondé et  établi un campement à aux étangs Philip.

evetts.jpg

lieutenant général J.F. Evetts

 

La zone était parfaite parce que les lacs étaient pleins. L’immensité du territoire et l’isolement de la région était idéal pour tester des fusées.

phillip pondseating house.jpg
étangs Phillip réfectoire

 

1952 carte99.jpg

1952

 

Woomera était le nom choisi par le long range weapons Establishement qui siégeait dans la région pour choisir le site du champ de tir

Ils choisirent le nom de Woomera, mot aborigène qui signifie lanceur de lance dans le but de chasser. Le nom  de Woomera a une signification très spéciale pour la ville et la région étant donné que c’est le seul endroit en Australie qui permette de lancer des fusées et des charges utiles, y compris les satellites.

 

IMG_2720 (1).jpg

Woomera

 Le terrain de la station Arconna a été loué au ministère de la défense  le 1er avril 1947 et le village de Woomera a été fondé par Len Beadell et travail a commencé.

IMG_3726 (2).jpg

Len Beadell à droite sur le lieu du futur aérodrome

 

Alors que se construisait Woomera, les hommes vivaient aux étangs Philip. Ils vivaient dans des tentes à deux places, avaient un théâtre de plein air, avec l’armée du Salut montrant  des films deux ou trois fois par semaine, (très vieux films), chassaient les mouches tout en mangeant leur repas durement gagné dans une tente du mess sans air conditionné et quand lac Richardson était plein, les hommes allaient nager pour s’amuser. Les douches communautaires étaient prises directement après le travail mais il n’y avait pas d’eau chaude. Quand  les hommes arrivaient tard après le travail pour une douche ils l’a prenait  très tard dans la nuit où l’eau avait été réchauffée et avait eu la chance de se faire remarquer. Ils ont été ennuyés par beaucoup de vacarme et manipulation de rocher obligatoire .Le  samedi soir, quand ils ne pouvaient aller en ville, ils en profitaient pour faire la lessive. Pour les loisirs, les hommes jouaient à pile ou face. C’était aussi illégal au Camp de Koolymilka que comme partout en Australie. La police était tenue de vérifier le Camp de Koolymilka avant de faire  entrer dans le camp. Les policiers ont singulièrement échoués à découvrir n’importe quel jeu clandestin au Camp de Koolymilka.

1948

Des problèmes ont commencé à apparaître et le projet du centre de lancement de fusées fut presque annulé

 La plupart des lacs d’eau douce nécessaires s’étaient asséchés et étaient devenus des lacs salés. A cette époque, il y avait 2 300 hommes employés à construire à Woomera, les fusées et les équipements du centre de lancement. Il y avait trop d’argent en jeu et il a été convenu que le champ de tir allait devenir un établissement plus petit pour les essais d’usage général et des armes défensives. La zone de récupération de la terre ferme pour les missiles s’est étendue, au besoin, à 80 Mile Beach au nord-ouest de l’Australie.

Pour que Woomera soit  un lieu intéressant à vivre, une pépinière de 2 hectares a été mise en place à Port Augusta. Il s’agissait d’une zone d’espaces verts non occupés, qui devint la première pépinière temporaire de Woomera. La teneur du sol étant riche en sel, un arboriculteur a été nommé à temps plein et chargé de produire des arbres et des herbes compatibles  avec  les conditions de Woomera. Les graines ont été produites à partir de partout dans le monde et plantées dans le terrain d’expérimentation pour les arbres qui pourraient être cultivés à Woomera. Ils ont appris à garder l’eau pour les arbres et les herbes avec une quantité limitée d’eau. Une fois que les arbres avaient grandis et vieillis, ils étaient transportés à Woomera et plantés. Chaque arbre a été placé dans le sol avec un tube muni d’un haut mur autour de la base de l’arbre. Les arbres étaient arrosés une fois par semaine et l’arbre obtenait son eau du tube qui permettait de fournir une petite quantité à la fois. Ce n’est qu’au moment où les arbres commençaient à croitre avec une quantité limitée d’eau que nous avons pu commencer à utiliser un plus grand arrosage.

Woomera West - Department of Works Camp (circa 1949-56 courtesy NAA)..jpg

Woomera en 1948

1949

La seule réponse pour l’approvisionnement en eau est venue de Morgan  qui avait un pipeline à Whyalla. Woomera a puisé dans le pipeline à Port Augusta, avec trois stations de pompage ; Port Augusta, Hesso (mot aborigène pour « lieu de nombreuses espèces d’oiseaux ») et Woocalla (mot aborigène pour « crow »). Ces stations de pompage ont été numérotés 1, 3 et 5. Le pipeline a également fourni de l’eau à l’ouest de Woomera, à la zone  technique, aux champs de tir, à environ 40 pasteurs et à Nurrungar.

pipeline alimentation en eau de la ville de Woomera 1953.jpg       230_woomera_water_pipeline_med.jpg
            

  Etant donné que Woomera s’agrandissait, un parc de stockage fut installé, qui a maintenant une capacité de 55 méga litres.

 

IMG_2643 (1).jpg

parc de stockage Woomera

Beaucoup de visiteurs qui sont rentrés de Woomera ont dit que quand le pipeline a été achevé « en raison de la chaleur extrême, quand ils se douchaient, ils devaient retirer le goudron de leur peau ». Parce que quand le pipeline a été construit initialement les tuyaux ont été scellés avec des joints contenant du goudron. La seule solution pour le problème du goudron à l’époque était de mettre un bas sur la sortie de la douche jusqu'à ce que le pipeline ait été corrigé.  Le conseil d’administration de Woomera a été mis en place en février 1949. Il a été approuvé par le ministre du commerce et du développement, et a avisé le surintendant de la base de lancement (maintenant l’administrateur de domaine) sur les questions de bien-être communautaire et de gestion les équipements de village. Les premières maisons construites à Woomera étaient des cabanes de tôle ondulée armée de la force aérienne transformées en confortable maisons de deux à  trois chambres à coucher. En attendant les plans étaient prêts pour construire des maisons permanentes en briques,  les maisons de briques ont été construites à partir de matériaux trouvés autour de Woomera. Les laboratoires d’approvisionnement de munitions ont été rebaptisés défense Standards Laboratories (DSL).  Les Divisions de l’aéronautique de la CSIRO, qui a transféré au ministère de l’approvisionnement, a été rebaptisé Aeronautical Research Laboratories (ARL). 

Une branche de la recherche et le développement a été formée avec le Département des approvisionnements du Commonwealth avec un scientifique en chef en charge de diriger ces trois établissements comme le noyau de la fonction scientifique australienne de la défense. La première étape de ce processus a été le transfert de certaines activités des laboratoires aéronautiques pour former un laboratoire de la haute vitesse aérodynamique à Salisbury. Ensuite, a été créé un laboratoire de recherche sur la propulsion afin de travailler sur les moteurs de fusée utilisés par des armes guidées. La troisième étape a été la création d’un laboratoire de recherche électronique, qui a pris de l’importance. L’électronique étant vouée à jouer un rôle important dans la plupart des branches de la Science de la défense. Alors que ces différents laboratoires ont été mis en place, les exigences relatives aux essais dans les champs de tir de Woomera sont devenues plus spécifiques. L’organisation a été modifiée pour fournir des améliorations à la direction administrative de l’ouvrage. 

1950

L’agglomération de Woomera grandissant,  la création d’une  école était devenue nécessaire, celle-ci  a donc été ouverte avec 33 enfants.

ecole primaire woomera 1966.jpg

école primaire Woomera

Un théâtre temporaire a été construit avec le prix d’entrée de 2 shillings pour les adultes et 6 pences pour les enfants ; des films étaient projetés 3 fois par semaine sous la direction du père Stewart Calder.

1960thea.jpg
ancien théâtre de Woomera

Le 11 août, un journal est apparu à Woomera. Le nom a été décidé après une petite discussion entre Michael Breen et divers amis au Mess principal une nuit. Il a demandé « quel  nom va-t-on donné à notre livre ? » Quelqu'un a dit « Il y aura beaucoup de gabber que je suppose, gabber des gibbers ».  « C’est ça, » dit Michael Breen, « Gibber Gabber. » Donc le Gabber Gibber est devenu un important document de Woomera.

IMG_2744 o.jpg

visite à Woomera du premier ministre Menzies le 20 septembre 1953 Michael Breen est à gauche du 1er ministre

 

Les premiers Gabber Gibbers ont été tapés sur du papier écolier de août 1950 jusqu’en juillet 1952, puis a été imprimé par une société d’impression à Port Augusta. Lorsque la ville se construisait, les rues étaient toutes construites essentiellement dans le même « U » et recevait un numéro - c’est à dire. 48e Rue, 49e rue etc. Maintenant les rues ont été rebaptisées avec des  mots autochtones, c’est à dire. Bahlaka - sel bush, Booromi - vent, Boorook - chaud, Burrimul - emu, Carcoola - gommier, Dewrang haute/nobles, Kennella - danser, Kinka - rire, Googona — pluie.

gibber gabber 1957.jpg
Gibber Gabber annual 1957

 1951

 Le 11 octobre, la population de Woomera avait augmenté à 1200 personnes britanniques et australiennes

Les premières 210 maisons pour les couples mariés ont été occupées et la location variaient entre 28 et 38 /-une semaine. Les maisons ont été entièrement meublées par le ministère de l’approvisionnement pour un appoint 13 /-une semaine. 

woomera 1950.jpg
Woomera en 1950

 

1953

 La pépinière a été transférée de Port Augusta à Woomera, d'où les beaux arbres et les jardins qui se trouvent dans et autour de Woomera aujourd'hui.

arboretum au premier plan.jpg

arboretum de Woomera en 1er plan

1955

En janvier une réorganisation de la recherche et du développement a eu lieu, dans laquelle tous les établissements et laboratoires en Australie-Méridionale ont été fusionnés en un seul établissement qui a été rebaptisé Weapons  Research Establishment (WRE). Ainsi, la recherche et le développement du ministère de l’approvisionnement exploitait maintenant trois centres de défense : WRE en Australie-Méridionale, DSL à Victoria et ARL à Victoria.  Des églises ont été ouvertes pour la communauté:  L'église anglicane St Barbara a été construite et achevée le  8 mai. L’école primaire catholique Saint-Joseph a ouvert avec la participation de 46 enfants. En 1987, il avait 73 enfants avec toutes les catégories d’âge de 1 à 7 ans.

99 st barbarajpg.jpg

église anglicane Santa Barbara

1958

Le 7 septembre, la première fusée Black Knight a été lancée. Il devait être le véhicule d’essai pour le projet Blue Streak. La fusée Black Knight faisait 10 mètres de haut et était alimentée de liquide. Il s’est avéré être un véhicule d’essai réussi et permit aux scientifiques de mener des recherches sur la haute atmosphère et les têtes de la rentrée.

 

IMG_2644 a b.jpg
Black Knight

1960

Le 13 avril, le gouvernement britannique a retiré le projet Blue Streak. Blue Streak devait être un missile balistique capable de transporter une ogive nucléaire. Début de la construction de la station de poursuite de l’espace profond de la NASA à Island Lagoon.

 

DSS41_L-Band_Don_Gray_15.jpg
station de poursuite de l'espace profond de la NASA à Island Lagoon

1961

The European Launcher Development Organisation (ELDO) a été mis en place par la Grande-Bretagne, la France, l'Allemagne de l’Ouest, l'Italie, la Belgique, la Hollande et l'Australie pour lancer des satellites. L’ELDO a repris les zones de lancement du Blue Streak et a utilisé le Blue Streak comme  premier étage de sa fusée Europa. Celle –ci a été la plus grande fusée lancée depuis Woomera, mesurant 32 mètres de haut, 3 mètres à son point le plus large et avec un poids en tout de 106 tonnes. Sur les 10 fusées qui ont été lancées à différents stades de conception, aucun satellite n’a pu être mis en orbite en raison entre autres de la défaillance du 3éme étage. La grande Bretagne cessa de participer à l’organisation en 1971. L’ELDO quitta Woomera en 1971 et ses propres activités s’arrêtèrent définitivement  en 1973.

 

2 novembre 1960 99.jpg

pas de tir LA 6 A lake Hart

 

ELDO 4588 tir F1 1964.jpg

tir F1 Blue Streak

 


1962

Le Comité de surveillance de Woomera a recommandé au surintendant, Grp Capt GA Cooper, que le parc soit nommé Breen Park en  mémoire de Michael Breen, qui fut le premier Secrétaire à plein temps du Conseil de Woomera et éditeur-fondateur de la revue Gabber Gibber en 1950.

 

 

 

woomera villa99.jpg
Woomera en 1962

 

 

 1963

 Le 13 septembre, le Comité du divertissement et des  loisirs de Woomera (WERC) ouvrent le théâtre avec 694 places. Il est encore en usage aujourd'hui et est géré par des bénévoles. Pour garder la population occupée en dehors des heures de travail de nombreux clubs et équipements sportifs étaient et sont toujours disponibles dont, règles Aussie, football, cricket, boulingrin, golf, baseball, natation, netball, softball, tee-ball et dix goupille bowling.

théatre Woomera février 1964.jpg

théâtre en 1964

 1964

La population a culminé à environ 6 000 et resta à ce chiffre pendant quelques années. 

1965

Le 25 novembre le projet Black Knight se terminait avec le lancement de la fusée  BK 25.

 

bk1.jpg

 

1967

Le satellite WRESAT conçu et construit en Australie, a été placé en  orbite par une fusée Redstone américaine à trois étages non utilisée par un programme d’essais précédent. Le mercredi 29 novembre, la fusée blanche de  21 metre de hauteur a grimpé vers l’orbite, transportant le satellite WRESAT. Le WRESAT développé par WRE, devenu maintenant le (DSTO) Defence Science and Technology Organisation à Salisbury, a cessé de fonctionner depuis longtemps, mais a  fourni de précieuses informations scientifiques au cours de sa vie opérationnelle. L’Australie est devenue ainsi  le quatrième pays, après l’URSS,  les Etats-Unis, et la France  à lancer un satellite. 

    wresatrocket0.jpg  wresat.jpg

La fusée Redstone récupérée dans le désert de Simpson en avril 1990 par 16 volontaires, est exposée au Woomera centre heritage.

 

IMG_2590 kk.jpg

Le monument de l’Australia Day devant le théâtre de la photo, « L’Obélisque », a été dévoilé par le Capitaine FE Irvine. Le globe représente un satellite, le croissant représente un disque de poursuite, le bâton à travers le globe représente un woomera, la flèche représente une fusée. La base, qui représente la zone, est faite de pierres locales, de fossiles et d’eau. L’Obélisque, dévoilé le lundi 30 Janvier 1967, a été conçu et construit par le groupe d’ingénierie et financé par le Conseil d’administration de Woomera. Il est situé près du point central d’enquête pour le développement du village de Woomera par Len Beadell. L’idée de l’obélisque a été conçue selon une approche du Conseil d’administration de l’Australia Day Council. Le but était de promouvoir la célébration de la journée de l’Australie. L’obélisque a été endommagé par le temps et le vandalisme et a été reconstruit par des bénévoles et l’US Air Force en 1976

   theatre_610-e1387273651655.jpg 1967   IMG_2592 kk.jpg2017

 

  Les mines du mont Gunson avait besoin d’eau, c'est pour cette raison que deux stations de pompage de plus ont été construites: Tent Hill et Bookaloo (mot aborigène pour « lieu de la quantité d’eau »). Ils ont été nommés stations 2 et 4. Il y a maintenant 5 stations de pompage entre Pt Augusta et Woomera. 

mont gunson.jpg

mines du mont Gunson

La décision d’établir Nurrungar  a été annoncée le 23 avril. Le premier ministre libéral John Gorton a expliqué, au milieu d’une controverse importante que son gouvernement avait accepté la proposition américaine d’établir la station. La construction devait commencer en septembre 1969, et la station serait opérationnelle à  la fin des années 1970. Nurrungar allait être l’un des trois plus importantes « conjointes installations » sur le sol australien, les autres étant au nord-ouest Cape en Australie de l'ouest (commandé en septembre 1967) et à Pine Gap dans le territoire du nord à 26 km au sud ouest d'Alice Springs.

 

jdscs.jpg

Nurrungar

Entre 1969 et 1970 trois fusées Black Arrow furent lancées avec des réussites variables permettant de perfectionner les systèmes de performance

tir R-0 de black Arrow 2 étages actifs 22 juin 1969 (2).jpg
black arrow tir R0 juin 1969

1970

Les essais et projets ralentissaient ou  se terminaient. Une nouvelle technologie s’est mise en place et le champ de tir de Woomera a franchi une nouvelle étape.  Le dernier tir d’Europa 1 tir F 9 a eu lieu en juin 1970 avec à nouveau échec de la satellisation.

F9 3 (1).jpg

Europa 1 F9 lake Hart

 

1971

En octobre une quatrième fusée Black Arrow a décollé de Woomera permettant la satellisation du satellite britannique Prospero qui est toujours opérationnel aujourd'hui. Mais à ce point culminant de la réalisation, le projet Black Arrow  fut subitement annulé. 

IMG_2862 kk.jpg  black arrow R3 prospero oo.jpg


1972

En septembre, l’approbation fut donnée pour la non limitation d’environ 40 % de la WPA dont Coober Pedy, Andamooka et près de 90 % de la zone interdite de Maralinga. La dernière opération de la station de poursuite de l’espace profond à Island Lagoon a eu lieu le  22 décembre 1972. Depuis les opérations de l’espace lointain en Australie ont été transférées  à Canberra

 1975

 La plupart des essais du projet conjoint anglo-australien se sont terminés et les gens ont commencé à quitter Woomera par centaines. Ils sont partis pour d’autres régions d’Australie et du monde.

 1979

 La population a chuté à environ 2 500.

 1982

 En janvier, la ville de Woomera est devenue non limitée et ouverte au grand public.

L’école primaire et le lycée de Woomera ont fusionné pour devenir l’école de l’agglomération de Woomera. L’Église de St Barbara a été achetée par le Conseil d'administration de Woomera pour être utilisé comme centre du patrimoine de Woomera et comme parc de missiles.

Len beadell (99).jpg

Len Beadell et le nouveau parc

1987

La  normalisation de l’agglomération de Woomera est terminée. Woomera est conservée pour soutenir les forces armées, les essais du WPA et Nurrungar. La National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) lance une série de fusées sondes depuis Woomera pour recueillir des données de la Supernova.

1988.

 La construction d’une cinquantaine de nouvelles maisons a commencé, pour remplacer celles existantes qui ont été déclassées.

1990

  Le Centre communautaire de l’Oasis est ouvert dans le centre de la ville. Le Caravan Park ouvert vers février. La population était environ de 1900 avec un tiers représentant le personnel de l’US air force et leurs familles. 

1991

En mars  la RAAF Aircraft Research et Development Unit (ARDU) a pris la direction de la WPA, y compris le champ de tir instrumenté de Woomera (WIR) de DSTO.

1992

L’administration de l’hôpital de Woomera  a été transférée à l’Etat de SA. La population s’est  réduite à 1500.  Faible des déchets radioactifs a été transporté à Woomera doivent être conservés sur le champ de tir E.  Le 22 octobre, l’Institut australien de recherche spatiale (ASRI) a lancé la fusée Ausroc II de 6m de haut. Elle a explosé et brûlé sur sa plateforme de lancement au champ de tir E. 

1994

Le WPA est restitué à la défense Support Centre de Woomera (DSCW) pour gérer. La RAAF doit seulement gérer le WIR. 

1995

Nurrungar célébrait son 25e anniversaire.  Le vendredi 12 mai 1995, Len Beadell, le dernier Explorateur australien et arpenteur de Woomera est décédé.  Les cendres de Len Beadell ont été enfouies à proximité de son premier point de sondage pour les fusées. Mais au milieu de 2000, il a été décidé de déplacer son lieu de repos final du centre jusqu’au cimetière de Woomera, afin de  permettre à la famille et aux  amis un accès plus facile. Un mémorial définitif sera terminé en 2001.

  La fusée Ausroc II-2 a été lancée avec succès du champ de tir E. Le 26 mai après des jours de retard, Ausroc II-2 a été la plus grande fusée du monde construite indépendamment à propergol liquide qui sera lancée avec succès ainsi que la plus grande fusée alimentée par du propergol liquide construite en Australie.

a2-2-assembly-at-bldg5.jpg

Ausroc II-2

  Dans la période septembre-décembre, la NASA est retourné à Woomera pour lancer une autre série de fusées sondes. tous les six lancements ont eu lieu tout près où Ausroc II-2 a été lancé à l’origine. En octobre et en novembre, une société australienne, du monde des médias faisait un film de science-fiction appelé la Zone, sera plus tard renommé Zone 39, dans les zones de lancement désaffectés du lac Hart.

zone_39-644790096-large.jpg th.jpgPeter Phelps

L’acteur australien Peter Phelps a joué dans ce film.

1996

Un nouveau parc de missiles a été achevé et ouvert.

32 Woomera Town - 19_zpswofbvyvw.JPG

Il a été officiellement annoncé en juillet que Nurrungar fermait en 2000.  Les essais de projet d’expérience de vol d’atterrissage automatique (ALFLEX) ont commencé avec le premier des 13 atterrissages qui a réussi le 6 juin. Ce projet faisait partie du « space shuttle » japonais ou du programme H-11 orbital Plane (HOPE), réalisé conjointement par le National aerospace laboratory et le Development Agency of Japan (NASDA).

aeflex.jpg

1997

 La population a diminué à environ 1 200 habitants.  En janvier, Woomera a accueilli 2 exercices militaires en même temps. Exercice annuel de la  garnison 97 - un atout essentiel de défense de l’aérodrome de RAAF Wing (AFDW) et l’aérodrome de défense antiaérienne exercice 150 réservistes prêts, et exercer prêt Schield 97 - le plus important exercice terrestre motorisé monté par la 6e Brigade, basée à Enoggera, Queensland. Il s’agissait de 3 500 permanents et réservistes prêts qui défendaient les actifs vitaux des environs de Woomera et WIR des soldats du Royaume imaginaire de Kamaria. Ces deux exercices ont été bien accueillis et les résidents de Woomera ont participé activement dans les incidents de formation qui ont eu lieu, dans toute la région de Woomera en aidant les soldats australiens ou d’amitié avec l’ennemi, les Kamarians.  Woomera a fêté ses deux anniversaires avec un week-end de « Retourner à Woomera » en mars. De nombreux ex-Woomerites sont revenus pour aider les résidents à fêter les 50 ans de Woomera  le 1er Avril. Un livre commémoratif intitulé :Woomera the first fifty years 1947-1997 fut réalisé en 1997 et était disponible à l’époque au Woomera heritage centre:

woomera the first fifty years 1997.jpg


27/04/2017
0 Poster un commentaire

Ces blogs de Histoire pourraient vous intéresser
>